Try this old-fashioned dessert for a change, as you see your mind walking down memory lane – a traditional classic that has managed to stand the test of time!
- In a medium saucepan, cook and stir uncooked rice in hot butter or margarine for 2 minutes.
- Carefully stir in milk and cinnamon powder (mixture may spatter) and bring it to a low boil.
- Cover and cook over low heat for about 30 minutes or until most of the milk is absorbed, stirring occasionally. (Mixture may appear curdled.)
- Remove saucepan from heat, stir in vanilla essence, and swirl in caramel ice cream topping.
- Transfer to four individual serving bowls. Keep warm.
- In a small saucepan, heat 1/4 cup sugar over medium-high heat until sugar begins to melt; keep the saucepan shaking occasionally to heat sugar evenly.
- Do not stir until sugar begins to melt.
- Reduce heat and cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until the sugar melts and turns golden.
- Remove pan from heat and stir in 2 drops hot water.
- Quickly drizzle the topping over each serving bowl of rice pudding.
- 1/2 cup Laila pudding rice
- 1 tbsp butter or margarine
- 3 cups milk
- ½ tsp cinnamon powder
- 1 tsp vanilla essence (or use vanilla pods)
- 1/3 cup caramel ice cream topping
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 drops hot water