A perfect one pot dish, chicken pilau is gateway to the South Asian cuisine. Intensely flavoursome, rich in taste and a party favourite, chicken pilau can effortlessly be made at home. Relish it with pickle or raita for a perfect meal.
- Rinse and soak rice in cold water and set aside.
- In a pan, boil chicken pieces in four cups of water. Mix in ginger, garlic and salt and continue to cook on low heat for 15 minutes.
- Drain the chicken, saving yakhni for later use.
- In a separate pan, add oil and butter, put in cumin, cardamom, cinnamon, pepper and cloves and let it crackle.
- Add in chopped onions and sauté until translucent, stirring with a wooden spoon. Add in turmeric, coriander powder, garlic paste and a bit of chopped coriander and continue cooking.
- Add boiled chicken, stirring everything together for a few minutes. Add yakhni, sprinkle some salt and let it simmer.
- Stir in the presoaked rice along with coriander leaves. Cook the rice on high heat for 2-3 minutes and then reduce the heat a little and place the lid on top to let it cook; keep stirring occasionally.
- Once the water has been absorbed, place a tea-towel over the pan and then place the lid on top. Let the pilau steam for 10 minutes and then serve.
For the Rice:
- 500 gm Laila basmati rice
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp whole pepper
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 cloves
- 2 cardamom
- 3 onions (chopped)
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp. coriander powder
- ½ tsp cumin powder (freshly ground roasted)
- 3 tbsp butter
- 5 tbsp oil
- ½ tsp Laila garlic paste
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves
For the Chicken:
- 1 small chicken, boneless (divided in 8-10 pieces)
- 1 tsp Laila ginger paste
- 1 tsp Laila garlic paste
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper