Learn to make this delicious, fragrant and filling fish biryani from Laila basmati rice, spices and fish fillets. This soul-satisfying combination of aromatic rice with spicy shallow fried fish is famous across the globe as one pot fish biryani.
- Rinse and soak rice in cold water and set aside for half an hour.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg with salt, chilli, turmeric and pepper.
- Then take fish fillets, cut them into small pieces, coat them in this mixture, shallow fry and keep aside.
- Heat the ghee in a deep pan and add in cinnamon, cardamom, bay leaf and star anise.
- Put in onions and fry until they become golden brown.
- Add ginger-garlic paste, chillies, sweetcorn and carrot and sauté it for 2-3 minutes until cooked.
- Pour tomato puree along with chilli powder, coriander, cumin, turmeric and curd. Cook until a thick paste is formed.
- Add some of the chopped coriander leaves (saving some for garnishing), chopped mint leaves, nuts and place this mixture along with the rice into a rice cooker with three cups of water. Let it cook.
- Once the rice is cooked, add fried fish pieces and gently toss them. Keep the rice covered for ten minutes for fish flavours to be soaked in.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve.
For the rice:
- 2 cups Laila basmati rice
- 1 onion chopped
- ½ cup of sweetcorn & diced carrot
- 4 green & red chillies (minced)
- 2 tbsp Laila ginger-garlic paste
- 2 tomatoes (pureed)
- 2 tbsp coriander and mint leaves
- 2 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp coriander, cumin and turmeric powder
- ½ cup curd
- 2 tbsp ghee
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 cardamom pods
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 star anise
- 10 cashew nuts or almonds
- Salt (to taste)
For the Fish
- 4 fish fillets
- 3-4 tbsp oil
- ½ tsp chilli powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp powdered pepper
- 1 egg