Tender, moist and spongy strawberry cornmeal cake is your not-so-sweet dessert. The cornmeal base with the combination of berries lends sweet-savoury taste to this cake. If thinking to try your hands at baking then this your ideal beginner cake. What’s more interesting is, this cake can be prepared well in advance and relished in breakfast with a cup of coffee or tea. You can also surprise your mother for Mother’s Day celebration as it is quite easy to make.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a Springform pan with butter and dust with cornmeal and set aside.
- In a bowl, stir all-purpose flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt to combine. Set this dry mixture aside.
- In a separate bowl, beat butter and sugar until it becomes light and fluffy. Gradually stir in egg, almonds, vanilla extract and milk and whisk it together until well combined.
- Pour in dry mixture and mix it well until smooth. Spread this batter evenly into the baking pan and top it up with strawberries.
- Bake at 350 F for upto 45 minutes until the top is golden brown or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool for 15 minutes before serving.
- Drizzle it with whipped cream and remaining strawberries and serve.
- ½ cup Laila white flour
- ½ cup Laila cornmeal coarse
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter (softened)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 300g strawberries (hulled and halved)
- 100g blueberries (for garnishing)
- 2 tbsp almonds (hulled)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 small egg
- ¼ cup milk
- Whipped cream (for garnishing)